May 14, 2015

Book Review: The Girl on the Train (some spoiler alert!)

Lately, I have been into reading mystery, thriller and suspense genre. Compared to before, I usually finish one book every 2-3 weeks or more. From last month, I finished 6 suspense novels and I just started my 7th book with this genre 2 days ago.  I think all books are worth the read but there is that one which sticks and deserves a review and that is this book right here. 


Title: The Girl on the Train

Author: Paula Hawkins

Publisher: Riverhead Books

Published Date: January 13, 2015

Synopsis:
A debut psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives.

Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good? via Goodreads
Well, it is indeed my favorite book this year. I liked it because it was fast paced. I could have finished reading this book in one day if I don't have that much mama duties and family errands. Three days is not bad for a wahm like me.

For the first few chapters of the book, the story took a little slow to really catch my concentration and when it did,I just cannot stop reading. The part where Rachel had a complete blackout, when she was tracing back memories after getting home with some bruises and a cut on her head, the same time Megan went missing, that's when I cannot stop reading.

For most of the thriller/suspense/mystery books that I have read lately, I usually have a clue on who the culprit is but not on this one. This is why it deserves a review despite my lack of vivid words to describe the emotions I got from this book.

I liked all the characters but my favorite is Scott. Those rise and fall emotions, felt it all for him. Although I did thought of him as a suspect, there was a reason for him to be, deep enough to commit murder. Let me now stop from here because if I don't, I might spoil the whole story for you which I tend to do when I make book reviews.

As to the part where it will forever change the way I look at other people's lives, not much impact on that for me, not really.


My Book Rating:
5/5