Aug 5, 2014

Me Before You, a Book Review (spoiler alert!)

I haven't had a book for a while that's hard to put down. I was just randomly browsing through Goodreads when I saw this book, I did not even bother reading the synopsis,  I figured no need when I saw almost all that ratings has a perfect 5 stars.

So on the first night of reading it, I made it through half which seldom happens. I had mom duties the next day so I had to put it down. The next day, I was in a happy mood, was eager to finish all my responsibilities because I was looking forward to continuing my reading. All through out the day, despite the gloomy weather in the city, and the badtrip vibe here and there, I was not bothered. All I was thinking about was Lou and Will. That is when I realize that this book is special.


Synopsis
Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time. - via Goodreads

main characters

 Lou - Her character did not stir any "I wish I was her" kind of emotion. I see myself in her character as a daughter and as someone who's happy to not try anything because I have that I-am-okay-where-I-am-now character. Her character is not that strong, she has that anything goes kind of attitude but speaks out when needed to. She is my favorite character now.

Will - (feeling a lump in my throat right now), my letter to you...
I feel sad that you have to go through that. You have a very strong character, a typical one for rich and succesful and (hansome plus hot) people. I might not have fallen for you but I am willing to be your carer despite you being a little bit of an arse. Even if you are just a fictional character, in a huge way, Will Traynor, you did open my eyes to possibilities.
That's how emo I become when I really love a book. This book I considered as one of my fave. It was technically a love story, but it did not  concentrate on Lou and Wills' that much. The minor characters, Treen, Nathan, Mr. and Mrs. Traynor, Patrick and Lou's family all made the story more interesting, no one was completely left out.

Thank you Jojo Moyes for not relying on including detailed sex on this book which "sadly" is included on almost all books I read, romance novel specifically. The main character might have died in the end but the thing is, not all endings are supposed to be happy. Learning and leaving you with a possible positive outlook is what matters, that's for me.

My Ratings on Goodreads.

My favorite note from the book:
'Everything takes time, Will,' she said , placing her hard briefly on his arm. 'And that's something your generation find it a lot harder to adjust. You have all grown up, expecting things to go your way instantaneously. You all expect to live the life you choose. Especially a succesful young man like yourself. But it takes time.'
Looking forward to the next book to read!