Jul 15, 2014

to all the boys I've loved before & a grown-up kind of pretty, book reviews


These two books right here helped me survive some boring transitional summer classes. Amazing how I got to finish these 2 in between interships, university classes and new homebased stint. I usually go for the bestseller books (and catchy book covers). This two has been added to my favorites shelf, a shelf that's dedicated to books I will be reading again.:)

Okay, so here's my review for:

a grown-up kind of pretty by Joshilyn Jackson

Genre: New Adult

Synopsis:
A powerful saga of three generations of women, plagued by hardships and torn by a devastating secret, yet inextricably joined by the bonds of family. Fifteen-year-old Mosey Slocumb- spirited, sassy and on the cusps of womanhood- is shaken when a small grave is unearthed in the backyard, and determined to figure out why it's there. Liza, her stroke ravaged mother, is haunted by choices she made as a teenager. But it is Jenny, Mosey's strong and big-hearted grandmother , whose maternal love braids together the strands of the women's shared past- and who will stop at nothing to defend their future.

Review: I liked that the first few pages already made me want to keep reading. The characters has their own distinct story and was not left out up until the end of the story. The character that I liked the most is Liza. Her character is strong and I can relate to her character as a mother.

The reason why I can't stop turning the pages is because every chapter was divided evenly with that "abangan sa susunod na kabanata" type, it's great for telenovelas. It does have a strong plot and I greatly recommend it.

Favorite note from the book: "There are good things coming, Ginny. I promise. I promise you, there's a balance."

to all the boys I've loved before by Jenny Han

Genre: Young Adult

Synopsis:
It is the story of Lara Jean who has never openly admitted her crushes but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it and hid it in a box under under her bed. But one day, Lara Jean discovers that somehow, her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's exboyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of this letters after all.

Review:
It's a love story I would want to experience in my next life. I seldom like reading romance type of plot but when I do, I seek those none cheezy-sweep me off my feet-type of characters and plot. There's a lot of things that happened on this book and the story did not concentrate on the main character's love story but also the story of her family. There were some cheezy parts which is common in young adult romance plot but not enough to make me want to stop reading it. The story also has that one mean character, Genevieve, but hers is not all that "mean girls" type and her character is what I am looking forward to reading on book #2. Yes, it does have a sequel and I am looking forward to it and I do already have a bit of idea on what will happen but nonetheless, I am excited.

Favorite note from the book: "I just let people believe what they please. I don't feel like it's my responsiblity to quantify myself for them."

My book rating on Goodreads.